Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Verse of the Day

Verse of the Day

Cast:  Two men or two women, obviously, friends.  One is visiting the other in his/her office.
Set:  Chair, desk, and phone.  Could be done without office furniture and just a cell phone.
As scene begins both actors are standing ready to converse.

You reading the verse of the day?
I love the verse of the day.  It gets me off to a great start.  Wouldn’t miss it.
[Answers phone.]  Hey preacher, how you doing?  Thanks for returning my call.  What it was is that those guys that you have doing the offering…   Ushers, that sounds good, but those guys keep turning my check over before they passed the plate.  I put in a good amount and I want people to see who keeps this place running.  So if you would, tell them to give me maximum exposure, especially if you are not going to post it in the newsletter.  [Hangs up.]
What was today’s verse?
Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.  That’s Matthew 6:1.  Great verse!
Yes it is.  What’s you working on?
I am writing a prayer for Sunday.  Preacher told me that I could pray, so I am writing a doozy.  This may take half the service.
Wow.  That’s something.
Not really, just copy and paste a bunch of holy sounding words and keep on talking.  Copy and paste and keep on bringing it.
I see.  Do you remember what the verse of the day was for last Sunday?
Of course.  I love the verse of the day.  Let’s see, it was Matthew 6:7.  Matthew is getting some good VOD time.
VOD time?
Verse of the Day time.
OK.  Do you remember what Matthew 6:7 said?
And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.  Man, that is good stuff.
Yes it isHow has your week been?
Yesterday, I just about pulled out all of my hair worrying about three big projects that need to come together like right now.  I felt lousy and helpless and couldn’t sleep when I got home.
Did you pray about these things that worried you?
Pray!  Who has time to pray in the middle of a crises?
Didn’t do your verse of the day for yesterday either, did you?
Of course I did.  I always make time for that.  I always have time for that.  It was Philippians 4:6-7.
Timely.
What?
What did the verse say?
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.  Now that’s some good Bible there, even though it was two verses instead of one.
But a very complete thought.
Oh yeah.  I love me some verse of the day.  That one was in the New King James Version.  I love the verse of the day.
Want to know what tomorrow’s verse is?
You know already?
I know what yours is.  I can feel it.
Really?  Let me have it.
I won’t but it will.
I’m ready.
It’s James 1:22.
Hit me!
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
Really?  I love the verse of the day but this one doesn’t do anything for me.  I guess some of them just don’t apply.
Maybe the next day’s will be better?
Let me have it.
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Win some.  Lose some.  Just doesn’t register with me.
You don’t say.  [Shaking head in disbelief during exit.] Gotta go I have some of God’s words to put into practice.
Good luck with that.  I have a prayer to write.  Copy, paste, copy paste, copy…


The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment