Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Eating an Elephant

Eating an Elephant

Cast:  Two youth, any gender.
Setting:  Any stage.  Story is conveyed completely in dialogue. 

I’ll never get this done.
You’re right.
You don’t even know what I am talking about.
But I know the attitude.
What?
If you don’t believe you can do it, then you won’t get it done.
I’m just talking about homework not a mission to Mars.
OK.  Then what’s the problem?
I put it off to the last minute.
That wasn’t wise.
Thanks for the reminder.
Do you know how to eat an elephant?
No and I don’t know how it helps with homework.
One bite at a time and that’s also how you do your homework.
Great.  Don’t they have groups that will arrest you or sue you if you eat an elephant?
Probably.  It is an analogy.
I know.  I just don’t want to do my homework.  It’s just too much.
Story time.
I knew it.
When Moses sent spies from each tribe into the Promised Land, ten out of the twelve said the people there look like giants.
What did the other two say?
Let’s take the land that God gave to us.
Did they not see the same things?
They saw exactly the same things.  It is just that two of them, Joshua and Caleb, knew that if God gave them the land then he would give them victory over anything that stood in their way.
That was like a looooong time ago.
You’re right, but in a letter that one of the disciples who followed Jesus wrote, he said that He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
I remember that verse.  John wrote it.
Yes he did.  Do you know what I’m talking about now?
That I might be spending too much time thinking about how big my problems are or how much homework I have instead of on how big my God is.
Very good.  That and next time don’t procrastinate until the last minute.
Not to worry.  I can knock it.  I’m not shrinking back from anything in front of me anymore.
You are a quick learner.  I’ll bet you have that homework knocked out in no time.
I’m about to take my first bite of elephant.  I’ll let you know how it tastes tomorrow when I see you in class.


The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment