Thursday, December 8, 2016

Resolutions

Resolutions

Cast:  2 young women.  The second of the two looks a bit frazzled from staying up all night.
Set & Equipment:  Any set.  One of the women needs a long piece of paper that is rolled or folded that can be released to fall to the ground.  The drama proceeds with quick moving dialogue, almost one line on top of the other. 

You look tired.
You have no idea.
Out late partying for the New Year?
No.  Stayed in but just couldn’t sleep.  I just kept thinking about what to do with my life.
Oh.
Then it hit me like a lead balloon.
I have never seen a lead balloon.
Quit picking on my metaphors.
It was a simile.
Stop it!  I am talking life changing stuff here.
Sorry.  Go ahead.
It was like 2 a.m. in the morning.
That’s redundant.
What?
Saying a.m. and in the morning.
I am trying to tell you that I got my life together and you are going all grammar Nazi on me.
Sorry, go ahead.  I’ll try not to interrupt.  So let me squeeze this in before I try to listen.  It probably wasn’t like 2 a.m. or like 2 in the morning; it probably was 2 in the morning.
You are correct.  It was 2 in the morning.                                                   
I’m glad we got that settled.  You were saying…
I had this early morning epiphany that I needed to learn Portuguese. 
Wow.  How did that inspiration come to you?
It was an infomercial, but it seemed like it was just for me.
That’s why they run those shows at 2 a.m.
But I’m sure it could change my life.
Really?  How?
At 3:25 a.m…
In the morning?
Stop it!  At 3:25 a.m. there was another infomercial about becoming a world-famous French cooking chef.  I knew that’s what I had to do with the rest of my life.
You are going to France?
No. The school is online.
Right.  Are there any labs?
What for?
In case you do actual cooking.
Oh.  That wasn’t in the infomercial.  But I know it’s right for me.  Don’t trip me up with details.
Fine.  When did you finally get to sleep?
I haven’t been to sleep.  There was one last infomercial right before the early morning news.
And…
I am going to find out who my ancestors were.
That sounds promising.  What for, I don’t know, but you surely have a reason.
Once I know who they were then I will know who I can be.
But you know everything you need to about your lineage and you can be exactly the person you were meant to be.
I don’t know anyone before my grandparents.
Yes you do!  You are God’s child.  He has always loved you.  You don’t have to do all sorts of crazy things to be who he made you to be.

But I made a list of resolutions for the year. 
[Unfolds long piece of paper that nearly reaches the floor.] 
Learn Portuguese, become a French chef, find out my lineage, play forward for the Thunder, learn to play the clarinet,  oh, oh, oh, I had better add learning to read music to that list.
Hold on.
I’ve got more.  Bench press 300 pounds, learn how to write code for video games, and….
Stop!  You don’t need all of that.  God loves you just the way you are. 
But I need to do something with my life.
You will, but that inspiration and the gifts that go with it will come from God and not some infomercial.
But how do I know what God wants me to do?
Talk with him, listen to him, read his word, get involved in loving him by helping others.
And this will tell me what I should do with my life?
You will be surprised at what God will reveal to you when you do what his word says to do.
So I don’t need a list of resolutions?
Resolutions are fine but getting your life on track comes from getting in tune with God’s will for your life. He will speak to you in all sorts of ways.
I think that God has already spoken to me.
Really?  How?
My phone died last night.
Are you blaming that on God?
Yes.  Otherwise I would have about $5,000 in credit card charges to those 800 numbers on television.
Wow!  If God did that for you, maybe he would teach you a little grammar…
Stop it!


Exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment