Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Treasure in Heaven

Treasure in Heaven

Cast:  2 adults of any age and gender.
Set:  Any stage.  All props are pantomimed.

Where are we going?
I need to show you something.
[Pretends to unlock door with key and open.]
Another locked door.  That’s three so far.
Hang in there.  Not much farther.
[Pretends to unlock door with cipher lock.]
Do you have nuclear weapons in here?  Why all the security?
I don’t want anyone to break in.
[Puts eye up to what would be a scanner.]
Wow.  That was impressive.  Is Jimmy Hoffa hiding out here or what?
No.  Just being safe and secure.
[Puts hand up to hand scanner so final set of doors will open.]
Wow!  [Looking amazed.]  Now this is something.
You bet it is.
[Looking all around at treasures stored in the room.]  Wow!  Now that is some stuff.
Stuff?  These are treasures.  [Pointing left.]  These are all baseball cards from the 1960’s.
[Nodding head as if impressed by the collection.]  Back in the day.  Wow.
[Moving right.]  These are all classic peanut butter and cheese crackers.  You can’t get these much any more.  Mostly it’s all peanut butter or all cheese.  These are both.
Impressive.
And this… [Continuing to the right.]  This is my Hotwheels collection. 
Wow!  You must have 100 sets or more.
Well, it’s 210 if you must know.
I guess you can never have too many?
[Continuing to the next set of treasures to the right.]  And these, oh these are among my favorites.  These are newspapers from every day since I graduated high school.
That’s a lot of newspaper.
[Steps back in shock.]   Oh no!  What happen?  It can’t be.
What is it?
Mice!  Mice have made nests in my newspapers.  [Turns back to left.]
That’s what they do.
[Shocked again.]  No, no, no, no, no!
What?
My Hotwheels are beginning to rust.
They were not made to last forever.
But I have safeguarded them so well.
I hate to disappoint you, but…
What?
I’m guessing from the date on those cheese crackers…
Peanut butter and cheese crackers.
Yes, I am guessing from the date on those peanut butter and cheese crackers that they will turn to dust the moment that you open them.
No?
Yes.
[Drops to floor crying.]  My treasures!
Really?  These are your treasures?
Yes.
I would say it is time for a little truth spoken in love.
What?
Jesus told those who followed him not to store up treasures on earth.
Why?
You are witness to it.
What?
Moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal.
Nothing’s missing from here.  You saw how careful I am.
Who is going to steal stale crackers?
That hurt, but point taken.  But I want to have some treasure.   I want something that will last.
Now we’re talking.
What?
Where you treasure is, that is where you heart lies as well.
In plain English.
Our treasure is what we love.
Like peanut butter and cheese crackers?
Do you still love them now that they are stale?
Not so much.
How about when we helped those people who lost everything in the fire.
I loved doing that.
Or when we sang Christmas songs at the nursing home.
Even better.
Those are your treasures.
What?
When you love your neighbor, you are storing up treasure in heaven.
Where mice don’t break in and crackers don’t go stale.
Close enough.
What’s the whole verse?
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Wow.  I have been storing treasure in the wrong place.
It’s not too late to change.
Consider it done.  I just have to call the Department of Defense first.
Why?
To see if they want to rent a secure storage facility.

The end.


No comments:

Post a Comment