Thursday, December 22, 2016

Rocks and Scorpions

Rocks and Scorpions

Cast:  Two adults.  The second of the two needs to have a coy, somewhat tongue-in-cheek dryness in delivery.
Set:  Any set.  Story advances entirely with conversation. 

I don’t believe it.  I needed a big break on a big deal today and God left me hanging.
Really?
Yes.  I asked him to make it all fall into place.  I don’t pray much but I prayed this time and sure enough God stiffed me.
I see.
Yeah, I don’t see the point in asking God for anything.
Interesting.
Enough about how God doesn’t like me much.  What’s up with you?
Oh, the kids wanted some of that fancy cheese bread for dinner.
Are you off to the store to get them some?
No, I can just order them a load of gravel online and have it dumped on the front porch.
Are you feeling alright?
Yeah, sure.  Why?
Nothing.  Just seemed like a strange response to what your kids wanted.
Whatever.  Can you believe this—one of my kids wanted a dog for a pet.
That sounds like a normal kid.
Maybe, but the kid is getting a scorpion instead.
What!  You’ve lost your marbles.  What kind of father would give his kid a scorpion when they ask for a puppy?
What, you don’t think that sounds like me?
No.  You like to give your kids good things.  You love them.  You would never give them a load of gravel or a scorpion.
You’re right.
I am nowhere near the good person that you are and I wouldn’t do that to my kids.
You’re right.
What?  Which part?
You’re right.  We both want to give our kids good things and if we who are ever so flawed want the very best for our kids, do you think that God wants any less for his?
You are soooooo sneaky.
Sometimes, a little.
Or a lot, but right on target.  OK, I get it.  God didn’t jinx my deal.  He’s not going to give me bad things when I am asking for good.
That doesn’t mean that he will cater to you every whim.
No, but it if ask in his name for something that is in his will, I should expect to receive it.
And not a load of gravel…
Or a scorpion.
Want the verse?
Hit me.  I can handle it.
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone?  Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?  If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!  So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.


The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment