Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Just Say No!

Just Say No!
Living for God’s Purpose

Cast:  Two men or two women who are friends. 

Set:  Any stage. One of the friends (P1) needs a smart phone.  The action is entirely in dialogue.  Both begin center stage.

Lights up.

P1:  I’m am so busy.  I don’t know what I am going to do?
P2:  You do seem a little frazzled.
P1:  I don’t know what to do.  I don’t know if I even have time to talk right now.
P2:  That’s too busy.
P1:  I know [phone rings].  I’ve got to take this.
P2:  Sure.
P1 [To phone]:  Hello.   Oh sure.  I can do that.  Alright, put me down for that too.  Cool.  Later.
P2:  So did I just hear you sign up for two or was it three more things that you don’t have time to do?
P1:  Yeah, I think, I don’t know.  There’s no way I can do all of this.
P2:  Why don’t you say “No” to some of these things?
P1:  Are you kidding?
P2:  No.
P1:  But you can’t just say no, can you?
P2:  Yes, you can say no.
P1:  That’s easy for you to say.
P2:  It’s easier now than it used to be.
P1:  What do you mean?
P2:  I mean that I used to be you until I learned to say “No.”
P1:  You mean like saying no to drugs or staying out too late or decaffeinated coffee?
P2:  No, well except the decaf bit.  Really, what’s the point?
P1:  Other than the decaf, what do you say no to?
P2:  The Friendly People Place of Prominence wanted me to be on their board of directors.
P1:  Oh, you would be so good at that!  You really didn’t say no did you?
P2:  Yes, I said no.
P1:  OK, I can see that.  You are the chairman of the board at the regional food bank.  I guess one board is enough.
P2:  It’s not that.
P1:  No?
P2:  See you can say no.  Now practice just saying it and not making it into a question.
P1:  Yeah, OK, whatever, but what did you mean by “It’s not that?”
P2:  I could handle another two or three board positions, but I say no unless they are aligned with my purpose in life.
P1:  You have a purpose in life?
P2:  Yes.  So do you.
P1:  I don’t know about that.  It seems that I’m too busy to have a purpose.
P2:  Maybe if you knew your purpose you wouldn’t be so busy.
P1:  Really?  I don’t see how that could help.
P2:  It’s simple, really.  Knowing you purpose empowers you to say no to everything else that you know you don’t need to be giving your time and effort to.
P1:  I need that.  [Picks up phone to use app]. Can I get it with one-click?  I am so busy, I hope that I can use one-click.                                                                                                        
P2:  You don’t order it.  You just understand it.
P1:  Now you’ve lost me.
P2:  I know.  Listen now, this is really important.  God has really good plans for you.  I mean he wants to prosper you and give you this incredible thing call hope.  God is sooooo invested in your future.
P1:  That’s cool, but what about this purpose stuff?
P2:  God has given you a unique design to do some things so well.  He wants you to pour yourself into living as the person that he made you to be.
P1:  That’s great, but I don’t have time to add one more thing to my…
P2:  You mean like you just added two or three things a moment ago?
P1:   Yeah, like that.
P2:  Then stopping adding and start saying “No” to the things that are not what God made you to do.
P1:  I don’t know which things to say yes to and which to say no to—I don’t know where to start.
P2:  Let’s start by getting up 15 minutes early tomorrow and just listen to God.
P1:  You mean pray.  I do that.  I pray that I don’t go crazy.  I pray that other people are paying attention when I drive because I sometimes get distracted trying to keep up with my appointments.  I pray that the line at the store is short because I really don’t have time for that.
P2:  I mean pray, but just say, “Hello” to God and then spend the rest of the time listening.
P1:  And God is going to speak to me.
P2:  More than that.  His Spirit is going to let you know when to say no.
P1:  One 15-minute listening session is going to take care of this?
P2:  NO!  One 15-minute listening session is going to get things started.             
P1:  I need something that works now.  I don’t have time for more than one session.
P2:  And you never will the way you are going.
P1: [Sarcastically]. Thanks for the encouragement.
P2:  If you will listen to God and trust him, he will reveal to you who he made you to be.
P1:  And my purpose?
P2:  Yes.  There is some mystery with God but mostly he tells us everything that we need to know and do.
P1:  And not do.
P2:  And say no to.              
P1.  “No”, you know I like that word.  Just say no!
P2:  Yes, you will be able to say “No” whenever you know you should.
P1:  How do you know so much about saying no.       
P2:  Because I know the One who tells me when to say no.
P1:  I want to know him and say no to everything that doesn’t get me closer to him.
P2:  That’s great!  Hey, do you want to help me paint the rocks in front of my house this evening?
P1:  Sure, I mean “No!”  Who paints rocks, anyway?
P2:  I don’t know.  I was just giving you a little warm up exercise for later.
P1:  And I said “NO!”
P2:  Good for you.  [Baiting P1].  I guess I will have to do it all myself…
P1:  Nice try.
P2:  Good job.  I’m here for you as you work your way into saying yes to your purpose and no to the other stuff.

Lights down.

The end.


No comments:

Post a Comment