Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Thy Word

Thy Word

Cast:  1 exasperated adult with a family and things to deal with in the world.
Drama:  As this is a monologue, much of the “action” will come in the form of intonation of the voice and gesturing.  [Overplay gestures when profitable].
Directing:  Bring out the best drama queen that you can be in the monologue and switch to a very confident voice when reading the scripture.

Election Day has come and gone.  I’m wondering if the outcome is good, bad, or ugly.  Maybe it’s all three.  I just don’t want to be afraid and I don’t want my family to be afraid of what is to come.

On top of everything that I have to contend with, the pastor has us all memorizing scripture.  We have been doing this for more than a year now.  I’m trying to face the challenges of the world and these words I had to memorize keep bouncing around in my mind.

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

That’s 2 Timothy 1:7.  I even remember the verse number.  That’s just great, I know the verse and the verse number but I still have things to deal with in the world.
Work, school, sports, fundraisers, doctors’ visits, dentist appointments, vet appointments—I hope I keep the kids and the pets straight this time.  I guess it wouldn’t hurt if they all got vaccinated for rabies. [smile].

There is just so much to keep up with and every time I try to get stuff sorted out, those memory verses just keep interrupting my thoughts.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

That’s Philippians 4:13 in the New King James Version.  This stuff just keeps getting me off track of figuring out how to handle everything.

Sometimes it seems like I am ready to just give up, throw in the towel, and just sit on the sidelines of life.  Does God really love me?  I mean, where is he when I am going through all of this stuff?

Not again!  These verses just keep popping into my mind.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

Come on God.  I’m trying to sort out things down here.  I am trying to figure out how to do everything right in an overly complicated world, and it is full of people and policies and practices that I can’t count on.  What am I supposed to do?

Really?  Again.  C’mon God I am trying to get my thoughts straight but these scriptures keep getting in the way.  Oh by the way, that last one was Joshua 1:9.  I can’t believe that I know that but I don’t know what to do in this upside down world.  What in the world do you want me to do?

No, no, no…it’s happening again!  I am searching for answers here in this world and these verses keep getting in the way.  Here it comes…

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make your paths straight.

C’mon God.  I am trying to find my way here and these verses keep jumping right into the middle of my train of thought.  I just need to find my way.

Great, now the verses are coming in song.
[Singing] 

 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

That’s from Psalm 119:105.  That’s not even one of our memory verses.

[Looking to heaven].  What?  Oh.  It is not one of our memory verses yet.  Got it.
[Rolling eyes].   Great more memory verses.  [Shaking head left to right].  I need to know where to get help now…  Where do I look for direction?

There’s that song again.
[Walking off stage singing]

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.


--The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment