Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Independence Day Mouse

Independence Day Mouse

Cast:  1 person—adult or youth—who does not mind scurrying around on the stage.
Equipment:  Wireless microphone.  Costume optional.  A chair or stool is also optional.

Church mouse comes dragging onto stage, rubbing eyes, having been awakened too early.

[Walking and yawning and singing as the mouse enters].
My country ‘tis of thee.  Sweet land of liberty.  Of thee I sing.
[Big yawn, then continues singing].
Land of the big French Fry.  I got ketchup in my eye.  Oh boy does it sting?
[Stretching and more yawning, then resume singing].
Land where scraps from your hand.  Land here in church mouse land.  Let every… [Steps back in shock].  WHOA!  WHERE DID YOU PEOPLE COME FROM?
I thought I had the place to myself.  What time is it anyway?  How late did those fireworks go?
[Looks back].  Oh man, am I ever having a bad tail day.
[Looking directly at audience].  Don’t give me that look.  It’s your holiday.  Fireworks all night and kids launching missile attacks on me and my friends with bottle rockets.  You try to sleep through that.
Don’t get me wrong.  I love the picnics.  Bread and cheese are falling everywhere.  Got me a piece of that Chipolate-Habernero and I was more explosive that those Black Cats—the firecrackers, not the menacing felines that are always just around the corner.
[Sits and stares intently at audience].
CAN WE TALK?  REALLY, CAN WE TALK?
I don’t get it.  You throw these huge outdoor parties with food galore.  You light up the sky for hours.  Some of you venture out onto the lakes or just want to get a good dose of sunburn, but it seems that you all have this in common.
[Looks to see who is listening].
You all have something to complain about.  Really!  Land of the free, home of the brave, burgers and hotdogs galore, and you still find things to complain about?  Really?
I am absolutely thrilled that you invited ole fumble fingers to this year’s picnic again.  Hey, scraps are my life; but you get a whole burger, heap the fries on high, kick back in the shade, pop a top on whatever that stuff is in the can, and still find stuff to complain about.
Since when has complaining become a career choice?
Really, I have been here on enough Sunday mornings to hear what Paul wrote to the church in Philippi.  Try to do everything without complaining or arguing.
You guys can’t seem to do anything without complaining.
[Holds up both hands to make this point].
Will you listen to a mouse?  Will you?
You guys have it good.  You are what we call in the church mouse world, blessed.  That’s right, blessed.
You guys have way more than most people.  Heck!  I have more scraps that some people have food in parts of the world.  Nobody needs to be singing the blues around here.
Plus!  Now here this!  Please understand!!!
[Waiting for everyone to pay attention].
You have liberty in this nation AND you have liberty in Jesus Christ.  That’s beyond abundant.
[Huge yawn].
Man, I need to go get some sleep, but you need to think about the blessings of liberty that you have been given in this nation and through God’s Son.  Really, think about it!
[Starts to walk off, but turns back towards the audience for one last comment].
Hey!  Don’t be too hard on your kids when they drop something from the dinner table.  It’s for a good cause.
[Resumes exit singing].  O beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of…

Exit.


The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment