Thursday, December 22, 2016

Advent Halftime Speech

Advent Halftime Speech

Cast:  2 male coaches.  Coach 1 does most of the talking
Uniform and equipment:  Dressed to look like Football Coaches.  May have clipboards.

 Coach 2 remains almost motionless, with his chin resting in his hand—very contemplative and intense without words until the players leave.

Coach 1 [Looking directly in front as if players are seated before him]
OK men, I know that you are tired.  The sweat is stinging your eyes and the cold wind is chilling us all to the bone, but I know that you have more in you than I have seen this half.
Defense, I want containment.  Don’t let number 24 get around the end any more.
Linebackers, how about some pop when you meet those backs up the middle.  I want them to know that running inside is tough business.
And how about some quickness off the ball.  C’mon isn’t that what we trained for.  We are supposed to be the strongest and the quickest and the smartest.  I don’t want to see anyone getting suckered in on a trap block again.  We are better than that!
Offense.  Really guys, I counted six missed blocks on that last drive. [Pointing at one player]  And that little love tap that you gave number 40 wasn’t a block!
And what about maintaining contact until the whistle.  Don’t let up on your blocks.
I want to see some consistency and motivation.  Keep your heads in the game.  It’s not over yet.
OK men, we are ahead 63 to nothing, but I want to see some improvement this half.  Now get back out there and show me what you’ve got.
Coach 2
[Looking at fellow coach]   Man, you rode them pretty hard to be winning by this much.  What’s up?
Coach 1
Advent
Coach 2
Advent?
Coach 1
Yes, Advent.  It is to prepare for the coming of the Lord.
Coach 2
I know, like lighting candles and stuff.
Coach 1
That’s part of it but the real part is preparing for the coming of the Lord.
Coach 2
And how does that relate to your halftime talk?
Coach 1
You know how we are always preaching that football is more than football…
Coach 2
Yeah, it’s about character, and overcoming challenges, and about life.
Coach 1
Right.  When Jesus comes back, whenever that is, he is going to find me giving 100% at whatever I do.  His return will be sudden but I will not be caught off guard.  I will be pouring myself into living this life to the full so I can bring glory to his name.  We are teaching these young men something very similar.  I will make that connection at the end of the game.
Coach 2
[Shaking head in agreement] Got it! [Exits stage running after players]  Alright men, we are not holding anything back this half!  I want to see what you’ve got!!!
Coach 1 [Looking across audience]
We build up to Christmas celebrations every year.  It is good to celebrate the birth of our Savior, but Advent is also about being reading for his return.  Whether you have played a quarter, half, or your game is late in the 4th quarter—did you give it all you have in this life so as to bring glory to God?

Are you ready for his return?  I won’t keep you any longer.  Get back in the game and give it all you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment