Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Christian Tourist

Christian Tourist

Cast:  Two friends who both have read the Bible.  One has some academic knowledge and the other tries to put it into practice.
Set:  Any.  Action proceeds in dialogue and gesturing only.  Both begin center stage pantomiming a conversation until the script begins.

You know that the Bible doesn’t say that you have to go to church.
It says, don’t stop.
Well, it’s not a command.
OK.  So you live by the commandments?
Some.
Just some?
Really, who can live by them all?
Nobody that I know.
Me neither.  So I will just pick the ones that seem good to me and call it a day.
I don’t know that is what God intended.
I’m pretty sure it is.  They are just sort of a buffet of good ideas.
Oh.  Willing to bet your life on that?
Don’t go all hard-core Christian on me.
What does that mean?
You guys are always talking about giving up your lives for God, being saved, and living life to the full.
Sounds right.
It is as if everything revolved around Jesus.
It actually does.
That’s what I mean.
What?
Everything you guys do is about serving God or loving each other or that what would Jesus do stuff.
I am a Christian.  I follow Jesus.  That’s what we do.
Hey!  I believe in God and Jesus and stuff.  I just don’t need to make everything about him.
You do know that even Satan and his demons believe in God.  They actually tremble at the fact that God is holy and righteous and holds their fate in his hands.
So are you comparing me to the demons?
You tell me.  Do you just believe there is a God or do you live for him?
I said that I believe in him and try to do some of the stuff that the Bible says to do.  I’ve got a Bible.  That should count for something.
It does.  In fact if you will read it and let God speak to you, you might find some things that count for a whole lot.
Such as?
What good does it do someone if they gain everything in the world that they wanted but lose their own soul?
You know what I think?
What?
I am a Christian tourist.
What?
I like what I see in Christianity but I am not quite ready to be a Christian.
Go on.
I went to Washington D.C. once and saw all of the sights.
There’s a lot to see there.
And then some, but I didn’t want to live there.  I didn’t want to be a citizen.  I wanted to see what they had and then go back to my own comfortable life.
And you think that you like what you see in Christianity but you don’t know if you want to go “all in.”
Exactly.  I am comfortable being a tourist.
Do you think that is wise?
No!  I don’t, but I don’t know what to do. 
Do you believe that God loves you and will make a way for you to live his way?
I want to.
Good.  Because he has given you his own Spirit to walk with you every day and he has given you the body of Christ to encourage you along the way.
I’m not going to get it all right the first time.
That’s for sure.  That’s why it’s called practice.  We put the words of Jesus into practice.
If at first you don’t succeed…
Try, try again.
I am tired of being a tourist.  I want to be a disciple.
Let’s build a house on solid rock.
And not on the sand.  I know those verses.
Now, we are going to live them.
Amen to that!

Exit.


The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment