Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Following Jesus

Following Jesus
Matthew 4:18-19, Matthew 11:28-29, Proverbs 3:5-6

Cast:  2 people of any age or gender. One has just been saved and the other is Jesus.

Set:  Any.  Action proceeds in dialogue.  Script or notes may be hidden in props if used.  Both begin center stage with lights down.


Lights up.

Hallelu, Hallelu, Hallelu, Hallelu; praise ye the Lord.  Praise ye the Lord, Hallelujah, Praise ye the…
That’s what I like to see.  Real enthusiasm.
You would be excited too.  I just got saved.
I know.
What?  You weren’t even there.
Actually, I was.
Really?
Most definitely.
OK.  If you say so.  I don’t remember seeing you there.
I was there.
OK.  What’s your name any way?
Some call me Yeshua.  That’s sort of like Joshua.  Most people just call me Jesus these days.
No way!
Yes way!  Actually, the way, the truth, and the life.
 Like, the Jesus?
Yes.
I guess that I should say thanks.
Hmmm…  Why is that a guess?
What?  Oh, I mean, Thank You!
Good.  Now that you have been saved from sin and death, it’s time to follow me.
Actually, I have been wanting to talk to you about that.
Really?
Yes.  I thought that you being Jesus would already know that.
I do, and I also know that you have some reservations about this discipleship stuff.
Do I ever!
You love the gift of eternal life but don’t love it enough to give your life to me as my disciple.
That’s a little strong don’t you think?
How would you word it?
Well, I just, you know, I…   I have some more living to do.
I have some living in store for you.  It’s real living.
I don’t know that I want to give up everything, at least not yet.
So, you think that by following me, you are giving up something more valuable than what I have to give?
Well, when you word it that way…
How would you word it?
I wish you wouldn’t do that.
That’s not really true.
What?
The more that we talk the more we grow closer.
Yeah but those questions…
Are what get us to the truth.
What is this truth?
That I, we, every form of God that you understand, love you more than you can understand.
I think that I get that part, maybe?
But for you to know real life, you must step out of your comfort zone and follow me.
You mean be your disciple?
Yes.
But I don’t know…
My yoke is easy.  My burden is light.  You can learn from me.
But?
I am not a big fan of that word.
It’s one of my favorites.  That and..
 If only.
It seems that you know my deal.  So why do you have to press me about this?
I’m inviting you to real life.  I know it’s the best thing for you, even when it gets tough.
Now don’t get me wrong.  I am excited about this not going to hell thing and eternal life and calorie-free buffets and endless holes in one on the golf course, and…
Not much of a Bible reader, are you?
You already knew that.
Yes, I did.
So how do you expect me to step out of my comfort zone?
One step at a time.  Let’s start with memorizing a verse from the Proverbs.
You’re not going to hit me with fools despise wisdom, are you?
No, but it came in a close second.
OK.  I’m ready.
Are you?
No.  Enough with the questions!  They always throw me for a loop. I need answers.
I have answers let’s start with this.  Trust in the Lord with all your heart.
I know this.  And lean not on your own understanding…
In all you ways acknowledge him,
And he will make your path straight.
Actually, I like the And he will direct your path’s version.
Really?
No.  Teasing!!!
Why would you do that?
Because this whole following me and trusting in the Lords stuff is good stuff.  It’s even fun if you will throw yourself into it.
OK.  I’ll try.
I don’t like that word either.
OK.  I will follow you.
Much better.  We will talk again soon.
But…
[Jesus stares intently at the other cast member without saying a word.]
OK.  No buts.  I have decided to follow Jesus.  No turning back.  No turning back.


The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment